Welcome

Copyrighted material by Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart may not be copied without permission unless otherwise indicated in my posts e.g. blog links or craft directions. Thank you!

Sunday, August 7, 2011

Easy Meal - Baked Egg Plant

Before Baking
This is a really easy meal!  My Mom used to make baked egg plant but whenever I tried it, it was bitter to me.  After all these years, my cousin told me the secret to making it without bitterness!

1 Egg plant washed and sliced into 1/2" slices
2 Eggs with a little milk mixed well
Tomato sauce
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Italian bread crumbs (or just flour, if you prefer)

After slicing, lay pieces of egg plant on paper towel in rows.  With another paper towel, covering the slices, push down all the slices to get the excess water out.  This is what cuts down on the bitterness!   Next: dip slices into egg mixture and then into Italian Bread crumbs or flour.  Arrange in an oblong baking dish like you would for Lasagna.

Next pour tomato sauce over the slices and sprinkle shredded cheese over the whole dish generously.  Bake in a 350 degree oven for 35 minutes.  This is a delicious hearty dish.  Add a little Italian bread and you are all set!


Fresh from the oven, still bubbling!

Dessert:  Chocolate cake from a box mix (Store Brand) and creamy canned chocolate frosting.
I mixed the cake by hand because I did not want to run the mixer while hubby was resting.  I could not believe how moist the texture was and no lumps even mixing it with a fork!

Yummeee!  Have a wonderful blessed Sunday!  Hugs to all,


  My heart to yours...
 

3 comments:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, I think I would have the cake for the meal, and the eggplant for dessert!! That is very good to know about no mixer. There are times when I would make a cake, but too much mess and trouble to get out, then wash the mixer.

Doris Sturm said...

I love eggplant! My Italian friend told me the secret about getting the water out of the eggplant for her eggplant parmigiana recipe - it's a good trick to know!

I'm still baking pear pies from the pears I picked down by the lake from the tree nobody cares about...

Donna said...

Kerrie, I'm going to have to try this. I have an eggplant sitting in my fridge but was wondering what to do with it. LoL! How did you know? Have you been peeking?

xo
Donna