Welcome

Copyrighted material by Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart may not be copied without permission unless otherwise indicated in my posts e.g. blog links or craft directions. Thank you!

Friday, November 19, 2010

TELEPHONES

NOW LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT THE TELEPHONE INCIDENT....
When I was a little girl in the 1940's, we had just gotten a house phone when I was in second grade.  I had never heard my father's voice on the telephone before.  My teacher asked me to stay after school to complete an art project that she wanted to display on a parent teacher night.  So she gave me a dime and told me to call home and tell my father I would be late.  So I went downstairs in the hallway to the big pay phone on the wall.  I put the dime in and dialed our number 36517.  My Dad answered the phone in a deep gruff voice saying, "Hello!"  It scared me, I thought I had the wrong number!!  I just hung up!  I stayed anyhow and the teacher gave me a ride home dropping me at the head of my street and I ran home!  My father was waiting on the porch and questioned me as to where I had been.  I told him and that the teacher had dropped me off.  He didn't believe me and I did not dare to tell him that I tried to call.  My father never came to Parent teacher nights, only my mother.  So he never got to see what kept me that day after school.
   To this very day, I do not like talking on the phone!  If I call friends or family, you can bet it is for a definite reason and not just to chat-ha!  Funny how some things stick with you all of your life.  If I had just spoken up to the teacher and told her what happened, she would certainly have let me call again but I was a shy kid and just didn't say a word....
   I often wonder now, what would Daddy have thought of the cell phones?????

   Have you had experiences like this?  Please share, I would love to hear!
                          ♥KERRIE♥
                          My heart to yours...

1 comment:

Ginny Hartzler said...

Well, it is also unusual hearing your own voice. Because we hear our voice from the inside all the time. We never seem to sound like we think we do. I hear my voice all the time because I record our church's 24/7 prayer and info line every day. It sounds totally different than I hear it from inside my body!! My husband has a high voice and whenever a stranger calls us, they call him Ma'am! He and his brother also sound exactly alkie and no one can tell their phone voices apart.