Welcome

Copyrighted material by Kerrie O'Hearn Marquart may not be copied without permission unless otherwise indicated in my posts e.g. blog links or craft directions. Thank you!

Wednesday, May 27, 2009

MY VIOLINS



The violin is a very old instrument that is still pleasing thousands everywhere. My first violin was a rented one for $5.00 per school year in the 5th grade. I had the same violin teacher from 5th through nineth grade, Mr. Harold Henderson. He was kind, patient and had a sense of humor. I had wanted to take piano lessons but my Dad insisted on the violin. I learned to read simple notes of the scale, placing my fingers where the teacher had put paper circle reinforcers for Do-Re-Mi under the strings. My first learned song was a practice piece called "Ting-a-Ling. It sounded Chinese and was a piece I have never forgotten. I rented violins all through my school career. In high school I was First Violinist in the All-High Orchestra. A very prestigous position. My Mom had a blue Zircon Ring that sparkled in the light and she let me borrow it so it could be seen on my right hand when I played in concert. She was very proud of me. While in High School, my brother George visited from his travels and he brought along a beautiful violin that was a copy of an Antonio Stratavarius violin. The tone was rich, the wood regal and he gave it to me. He also played. That was in the 50's and I still have it today. It has a very beat up case but when you open it, it is lined with Red Velvet. I treasure it as my brother died in an accident at the tender age of 42. Later on, my husband bought a student's violin for me while we were attending a fiddler players convention in the Catskills. It is the one in the picture attached and hangs on the wall near the piano. I learned to play by ear very early on and once I heard a song, I could play it. I bought 45 rpm records in the 50's for example: Shubert's Ave Maria and Swedish Melody. I also played Never on a Sunday on Guitar and violin, not at the same time- HA! I learned to play the piano, banjo, mandolin, harmonica all by ear. I play the piano almost every day, the sound is very soothing to me. I will write about the Amazing Grace Carved Plaque in the next post.

No comments: